Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Baaaaag Lady... you gon' hurt your back, draggin' all them bags like that...

For those who aren't aware, there are services that provide people the ability to rent luxury handbags. They range from "It" bags that retail up to about $3,000 CAD to classic Louis' and Chanels. There's even other companies that allow you to rent Tiffany jewellery. The renter merely pays $10, $20 to $100 a month and then returns the items for something else to rent. It's kinda like borrowing stuff from your girlfriends' closets. Or from a greedy girlfriend who insists on charging her friends money to borrow her stuff.

And in case you're wondering, these are legit companies who are doing this. When I first heard about it, I thought it was a joke. I half thought it was a scam and half thought it was the stupidest idea ever. It's a sad validation that there are women out there vain enough to a.) be so desperate enough to want to carry a luxury bag that they'll rent it and b.) the fact that they just have to carry a designer bag. I cannot decide if these women are worse or better than the people who pay to own a fake (and sometimes try to pass it off as real. tsk tsk) or the people insane enough to drop a couple grand on a real bag.

I'm not even gonna mention these companies that are doing this because I don't support this (ha! As if even my posting will direct them more traffic). To rent a bag is as silly as carrying around a fake. What does it prove? I'm not gonna whale on my friends who do carry fakes because I carry around knock-offs (which might as well be just as bad), but it is truly amazing how carrying around a Balenciaga or even sporting the logos gives us some sort of euphoria even if it may only last a few months. Okay, that's all I'll speak of this subject because there are many views to this point and it's not my main point of this entry.

I'd really like to meet anyone who's ever used this service (or even thinking about it) because I'd really like to know why. Will they admit that it's their own after telling people it's real? Would they try and pass it off as their own? What does it feel like to use a USED bag?

In any case, if anyone's ever in need of a bag or even a pair of shoes to borrow for a day or so, my closet is open to those who have great taste, not spill-y and a size 6 in shoes. I may not have much, but what kind of friend would I be with all this shit in my closet?

No comments: