Saturday, November 12, 2005

I don't think I'm cut out for being a Revolutionist

Keeping in theme with my last entry, I'm gonna start another trend. Actually it's already begun. Suddenly everybody (mainly a few girls in my class) wants to wear thigh-high boots, like the ones I wanted for over two years and finally got a couple months ago.

I don't know whether to feel flattered or annoyed that while I'm trying to not look like everyone, everyone may be trying to look like me. I'm in a class with 90% chicks, so I'm actually more flattered when girls compliment me, rather guys. Okay, before you start saying to yourself, "What a conceited, self-righteous bitch", shut up for a second.

To all those people who scoffed at my idea of thigh-high boots as being cool not trampy, a big kiss-my-ass to them. They're hot, not slutty, especially if you can wear it correctly. And for all those people who said legwarmers would stay in the 80s even though I desperately wanted them in the millenium, a warming "I told you so" to you guys.

Anyhoo, it also brings me to a little, tiny pet peeve I think will soon grow into a rather huge one. I think I first pin-pointed this realization when I went shopping with Sarah at H&M and found this gorgeous tiered "tulle" skirt and definitely reminiscent of Carrie's 'tutu' from the opening of Sex and the City. I really wanted the skirt, not because Carrie wore a similar skirt, but just because I love tulle. What stopped me? The fact that Carrie wore a similar skirt. Alot of people say I remind them of Carrie from Sex and the City, because I wear a lot of ridiculous stuff but "somehow pull off different looks". Yes, I take that as a compliment. Thank you. But I don't want to be her.

Don't get me wrong, I love the show. But to me it was more than the clothes, it was talking about a way of life, alternative to a traditional one. And I couldn't help but wonder (haha, yes a common phrase from the show), how much longer will the facade of "being a Carrie" be a symbol of individualism and soon into just a term people coin as a "trendy person"? I've read alot and I've heard from women all over the world from forums who claim they're "a Carrie" but you really have to wonder if they are. And if everyone's a Carrie, who is the real Carrie Bradshaw? A character on a popular TV show, or a woman who embraces all things odd, yet luxurious? Pretty soon I can foresee adding "a trendy girl" ("trendy" meaning what seems to be different, really isn't) to the list of definitions of "a Carrie". Instead of a generous compliment, it'll be an irony.

So what I'm trying to say is, I'll milk the compliment of being called a Carrie for what it's worth now, but in another 5 years I'll kick your ass if you label me as that anymore.

2 comments:

whit said...

i've always loved thigh high boots. always! i can just never find a pair that aren't made out of pvc or don't cost more than $400.

spinderella said...

Actually Whit, I do remember you telling me that you wanted thigh-high boots in highschool. Right on!