Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Always the Mutant, never the Ninja

This weekend I was invited to what sounds like a stupendous Halloween costume party downtown. As I've mentioned before, I love theme parties. I especially enjoy them when others are willing to participate (which is almost nil these days).

So with three days left till Halloween, I am currently scrambling to think of a good Halloween costume because apparently a really "enthusiastic costume" is mandatory for this particular shindig (in fact, I was invited on the condition that I come fully costumed). I suppose I could go with my angel costume from last year, but I have to keep in mind that this party is downtown, I'm not driving and it is now October (so swimsuit model is out, Nam). I've been pillaging a couple of ideas, all of them seemingly too unoriginal. Witch, cat, angel, devil. On top of that, the only costume suggestions I seem to be getting are of anything having to do with the word 'slutty' (it's really sad how women use Halloween as an excuse to dress slutty. Why can't they be themselves the other 364 days of the year?). I wish I could go as someone like BoA or Namie Amuro, but 9.5 out of 10 people will not know who the fuck I am so what's the point?

My friend Gerard finally came up with a seemingly original idea that also seems to be simple to put together with stuff lying around my closet: a female ninja. However, when I think 'ninja', I also think 'turtle', so I Googled "female ninja" for some ideas...

^This one seems to be a promising start even though it's pretty crudely drawn. I have the flat, thigh-high boots and the mini skirt. I can use hockey tape for straps (oh, it's gonna be a bitch to get them off my skin) and I'm sure I can find a similar looking halter top, or something more sensible for the weather.

^I'm not sure if I'd label this a 'ninja', more like some sort of female cyborg-marauder. I do like those hand strap thingies.

^Okay, I wish.

^ Maaan, if I had the time, resource and proper welder, I'd so rock this costume. I'm lovin' those razor-sharp 'wings' and the 'do.

^This reminds me, I need to get a sword. Or two. Maybe not a real one (too heavy) but something I can carry on my back and be readily available to fight crime. I'm trying not to make a comment on the boobage but I mean, look at them. o_o

^I think this came from a website offering various "Halloween costumes for teens". I don't even know where to begin with a comment, but just looking at the picture itself, sets itself up for your own personal mockage. My comments need not apply.

So, this is what I've come up with so far. I will likely change my mind and end up doing a last minute costume change (like last year where I made a makeshift halo out of a coat hanger and Christmas sparkle) or, if I'm lucky, I'll find an XL chicken costume I saw at the Old Navy's kids section the other day.

And if you are in the mood to go out and party with other costumed strangers, I encourage you to come downtown with the rest of the closeted freaks. You might as well do it while you're still 'young' before BAM! Your Halloween routine will be that of staying home and forking over candy of your hard-earned money to be-scrubby fingered fat kids.

Might as well hit the parties now, while it is still socially-acceptable. There's going to be a ton of costume parties this weekend and it's gonna be fun seeing what the other Halloween-enthused will come as. I wish I could go to this ACOM/HiLife party. Why? Because someone actually came dressed as BoA circa 'Atlantis Princess' days (first row, second from left) last year!!!

No comments: