Sunday, May 07, 2006

8-fuckin'-30 in the fuckin' morning

If you haven't gone to The Clothing Show, go go go!! True, today is the last day but an effort should be made.

I admit I was a bit skeptical about this show, mainly because it costs $8 to get in and naysayers who've gone said it was mostly of 'used clothing'.

"I have to pay to shop?!" I asked, when Jezrin proposed a 'Girl's Day Out' to the Show. She swore up and down that it was good and I reluctantly agreed since I rarely do 'Girl's Days'.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that the show was only partly 'vintage' and the rest of the booths were divided into sections like accessories and apparel. The Show was set up in the Automotive Building at the CNE with the booths lined up and divided by wares. It really felt like being in a fashion buyers trade show, where designers set up booths and display their designs and buyers get to pick and choose what pieces to put in stores.

I really had to work hard at not purchasing all the jewellery and clothes I loved. Many of the vendors were private companies and I was so impressed with their designs. It really inspired me as a designer wanna-be but I also realize how much work and time they put into creating their pieces and just thinking about it makes me lazy. And as much as I appreciate "new-and-upcoming" Canadian designers, I ended up purchasing an Elie Tahari dress and a scarf I plan on wearing as a top. I also purchased a shell bracelet and a gaudy koi necklace that were probably not 'handmade'. Each purchase was $5. I am a yahtz to cheaper goods that were probably made in sweat shops.

The Clothing Show is an excellent place for people who are sick of mainstream retail (me) and like unique clothes made by independent designers and don't mind paying extra for a "generis" piece. The vintage section wasn't too bad either. I spotted a pair of vintage Guccis even. And then when you leave the Show, you get a very chic razor (for women)! Oh, and yesterday this woman on the streetcar gave me one of her wristbands that gets free admission. I peeled it off very carefully so if you're interested and it's early enough and you wanna check it out, gimme a shout.

We spent about two hours at the Show and then made our way through the fashion district (fabrics galore!), Chinatown and Kensington market (best kept secret for good quality basics at warehouse prices). Thank goodness for the TTC Weekend Group Pass.

And then, later that night I ended up going to 13-person poker for the second night in a row. Gah, we all got beat by a 17-year old (not even old enough to buy a lottery ticket!) and I will now retire from poker for awhile. The novelty has definitely worn it's welcome on me and I think I should take a break before I am totally turned off with playing cards.

I also need to slow down the going out because it is doing a number on my health. I come home at ungodly hours in the morning and end up waking up at an ungodly hour later in the morning because the house behind my house (that faces my bedroom window) start construction at 8:30 in the morning. Even on a Saturday. You would think there would be something illegal about this 'excessive and irritating' disturbance but to my chagrin, it isn't. I took the liberty of looking up a Noise Control By-Law and apparently these people can begin their banging, sawing, whirring, Italian-music-blaring at precisely 7 am (except on Sunday and statutory holidays).

You would think I would be used to noise seeing how I live next to a major road that is toiled with traffic and semis, a block from a police station and fire house, and 15 minutes from the airport. But an open window directly facing very loud construction whilst I'm trying to sleep over a hangover is enough to make me want to rip my hair out. =_=

No comments: