Thursday, January 26, 2006

Back to the Future

I found this pic of me and my friends from a convention this week. I totally hate how I look in it, and I don't really know why I'm posting it...

So apparently there was a law firm eagerly looking for students to hire beause they're backlogged. My program coordinator (the man in the pic) asked if I would be interested. But then he asked me a dreaded question that I was afraid would eventually come up in the course of my career: Do you speak Chinese?

Umm... dammit. As much to my chagrin, I have to give the obligatory answer of "no, not really" because the only Chinese I know isn't enough to get me by even in a supermarket. Even despite my taking chinese school for a decade when I was younger (but then again, how many people learned anything in Chinese school?), I have yet to even have a simple conversation in Chinese without stumbling or asking my mom for help. *sigh

And it's not that I don't want to learn, I do. I just lack time, and before, I lacked committment to learning it. I want to eventually learn all the Asian languages: Chinese (Mandarin and Cantonese), Korean, Vietnamese and perhaps a little Tagalog. It seems unlikely that I would, though, seeing I was in Chinese school for half my life and I speak English at home allllll the time.

I suppose I should pick up a CD or two and get cracking on Chinese. I mean, I could either totally avoid ever working in Scarborough/Markham/Richmond Hill or just finally learn it once and for all. And what better time to start than on Chinese New Years? Problem is, I have a hard time learning different languages and I blame this on my right brain-ness. Man, I hate not knowing a second-language. I can't talk about people right in front of them!

Good news! One of my favourite groups of my past life are getting back together!

Man, they totally rocked. I had two of their albums (can't find either of them now >_<) and I think I mainly liked them because they were like the anti-Spice Girls. They made baggy pants and tanks tops cool (mind you, I was a bit of a tomboy back then) All Saints>Spice Girls. Man, I really wish I could find their CDs now. I'd like to sit and listen to All Saints and Hanson and bring myself back to middle school.

And while I'm there, make myself pay attention in Chinese school.

No comments: