Sunday, July 30, 2006

Excuse me, would you happen to have any Grey Poupon?

ETA: More Kincardine pics

Hard to believe, but sometimes I can be a bit of a workaholic and it scares me a little. Yesterday (Saturday), I worked at the office. Voluntarily. I could've refused to, but no, I insisted I finish the paperwork piling on my desk. This is not how I expected things to be. I don't want to end up like those people who have nothing better to do than to come into the office on Saturday (sometimes, even Sunday) to do work. I hope my life would be far more important than frivilous paper work just to meet a deadline (sure, it'll cost some people money because the deadline's been missed but it's just money. Haha).

So after pitter pattering around the office yesterday, I finally pulled myself away from work-ohol at around 3 pm. I really don't admire workaholics because I realized I missed a good chunk of my weekend.

So last night, I indulged in a little 'culture' and a little 'fancy'. I went out with my siblings for dinner at a fancy schmancy placed called Via Allegro. I was forewarned that there was a 'dress code' (when I hear 'dress code', I think the dress codes that are required at clubs: no hats/runners, dressy jeans allowed. How sad is that?) and that it would be a different experience than going to some other restaurant like Milestones or Moxie's.

So when I got there, sat down and opened the menu, I realized that the only 'dress code' that you need to acquire to is a big, fat wallet. Let's just say a martini was $15 and I would have to work at least four hours to pay off an appetizer. Yeah. Talk about a whole new experience (Although I would have to say Ruth's Chris is the most expensive restaurant I've been to, but wasn't as variated, menu-wise, as Via Allegro).

I never realized my brother has such pompous and an elaborated taste for food, and I was so psyched to try the ever elusvie foie gras (pronounced fwa graa, not foyee grass). Lemme tell you a little thing about this 'foie gras'. First of all, it's a fancy (and French) way of saying 'duck liver'. I'm not a big fan of liver in general (my parents have to bribe me to even eat one piece) but I was determined to give it a try as it is a big, big thing in food culture nowadays as I've read so much about it from fancy people (it's even banned in Boston or Chicago! How dangerous of me). Second of all, they come in teeny tiny portions but costs about an arm and half a leg. It makes a bowl of Pho seem like the best deal in the world, even if it's only broth, noodles and some Grade B beef.

So how was foie gras? Well, I had it in two variations: pate and 'stock'-form (the way it originally comes in. I'm using car lingo to describe food!). It was alright. It's not something I would indulge in very often and it probably wouldn't be the first thing I ordered if I ever came back to this place or something similar. Texture wasn't the same as cow liver (maybe a bit smoother) and the pate form was especially very smooth.

The other food was really good, though. I had what I would call 'surf n turf': sea bass, calamari and tiger shrimp with wild rice. Mmm. I admit expensive food tastes alot different than 'regular' food (Pho, stuff you find at Moxie's) but I wouldn't say it's better. Just different. And as small as the portions were, I was amazingly pretty full by the end of the evening (yeah, I eat like a bird).

All in all, it was a great evening. It was a good experience and I hope it's not the last time I ever go to a place like that, now that I've had a taste of the 'good life'. However, it isn't so bad coming down to 'my life', where I can wear whatever the hell I want and eat my $1 Vietnamese sandwiches and Caesar salads.

More pics from Kincardine:^Ow, OW, OW!: Me and Ale trying to walk on rocks

^Get your mind out of the gutter! That's a rock wedged in between a crack in the rock bed.

^Alex, Kathy and me: not sure whether to jump in

^Come on in, the water's fine. Right, Iljya? ^So NOT jacuzzi-like ^Rock beach < Sandy beach

^Fuck the gym, this is real bench-pressing ^Go boy! Catch the frisbee!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pompous : Characterized by excessive self-esteem or exaggerated dignity.

My tastes are neither excessive nor exaggerated.

(I'm glad that you enjoyed the meal.)