Friday, February 02, 2007

So you draw dignity but can you put a price on it?

I was offered a pretty interesting job. I say 'interesting' with a bit of hesitation because I'm not what sure to call it.

First off, the pay sounds great: $60/hr for just standing around next to a car. Oh, the money I could make in one shift! $60 x 17hours = cha-ching!

So, what exactly is stopping me from applying? I'd be "topless/painted". Hmm. HMMMMMMMM. Has anyone found themselves in a 'situation' like this, where the money sounds damn good, the opportunity sounds damn good (it's for some product launch party) and above all, the money sounds good? Now, I haven't been one to revolve my life around money, nor do I ever want to make it my goal to spend 23 hours of my day making money. Money is fluid to me and it's only really important when I really need it (and I hope I never get to a point in my life where I need money). And, as stupid as this sound coming from a legal professional-to-be, I don't like the "time is money" philosophy.

However, think of what bag or shoes I can buy with one day's worth of standing (what, you expect me to give to some charity?)?! Or the interest I could accrue by just leaving it in my savings account!

Alas, money brings about the moral dilemmas we come to at one point in our life. That point being where we must decide what our self-worth is. How easily can I be bought off and sign away my dignity? On one hand, I don't believe posing topless is degrading (that is, if it's worth showing, lol). On the other hand, I'll be hella cold.

Of course, there are other things I have to worry about: my parents. And, oh yeah, my parents. I may be 23 years old, but it doesn't matter how much my dignity is worth: my parents own my dignity for a long, long time.

No comments: