Tuesday, November 21, 2006

The 'Strange' in Stranger

Nothing much to report as of late. At least nothing of interest. Three weeks of school left (OMG) and I'm feeling particularly irritated, I'm not exactly sure why. I don't think it really has to do with all the damn assignments I need to do before I can begin to study for exams. I've taken two weeks off from work (except for Fridays) so that I can focus more on school and less on work-related stresses.

Last night, I got really irked by one of my 'internet friends'. I don't know how or why, but we ended up arguing (oh, petty, petty) and I got steamed. Basically he overreacted and was 'hurt' when I said that I could do nothing but to see him as just another guy on the internet or a person I meet at a club, despite how much he protested that he was 'different'. I told him that if I don't know them personally, there is not much I can do but basically generalize. I think he got offended by that comparison because apparently I'm supposed to assume he's 'different' just because he thinks I'm gorgeous/smart/superfantastic/perfect and wants to meet me so badly. Whatever, man. I don't believe anyone has the right to say "Yeah, I'm different. I'm not like everyone else. I'm one in a million, baby." when I don't even know your last name. Whatever, baby.

As far as I'm concerned, you could be a woman (and I wouldn't have been surprised judging by the over-sensitivity to my 'generalizing people I don't know' comment). Sad truth is, we have to judge people by their covers. No ifs, ands or buts. In a world of anonymity, technology, crazies and Michael Jacksons, it's just street smarts. And when I say 'cover', I mean the persona they carry on the first time I talk to them, not necessarily their looks or pictures (Photoshopped and oddly-angled alike). A guy can be uber good-looking in his profile, but dumb as a rock in context. To say that I can't judge a person based on the way they carry themselves firsthand is just plain asking me to be dumb.

So with that said, does that mean I generalize everyone I meet on the internet or meet at a club or bar and dismiss them as 'same old'? Hell, no. I've met a good chunk of people from both mediums and they've come to be either good friends or interesting people to talk to when you need to hear crazy stories. Of course, it did not come without the initial meet and many conversations before meeting up and hanging out. However, these friends did not come to be my friends just because we happened to meet or be in the same place at the same time. You just know when you click with someone, even before you meet and that's the foundation to a lasting relationship, either platonic or romantic.

So I was a little miffed by this guy who insisted that we had to meet for whatever reason and accused me of 'wasting his time' (if you're 'wasting time' on the internet, you need to reassess your priorities). Deep down I knew I wasn't really feeling meeting with him, and I don't know why, nor do I care why because if I don't feel it, I don't feel it. I suppose I could've just told him that (which I did, only after I was berated for my lack of enthusiasm for wanting to meet) but for some reason, I didn't really say anything until his little flare-up. I think I was more peeved that I was arguing with a stranger (I don't care how long we've been chatting, you're still a stranger if I haven't seen the whites of your eyes) and I didn't get around to writing my Philosophy paper. Oye.

That reminds me, back to work.

No comments: