Friday, September 28, 2007

Sub-Prime Monogamy

I haven't gone on a date in like, 10 years.

Wait, what constitutes a 'real date'? No sex? Yeah, I haven't gone on one in 10 years.

I finally broke that streak last weekend with a guy who I will vehemently dub as 'V'. No, not that dude from V for Vendetta, although I guess it might as well have been. See, it was kind of a blind date.

V runs his own business and drives a Jag. Although it's not something that attracted me at first, it didn't turn me off, either. Ha. He did the whole door-opening thing and other altruistic gestures which will no doubt die with time. I didn't realize guys still did that (or at least try to). Personally, I thought it was kinda lame. I thought chivalry was dead and buried and I wasn't entirely used to it. Yeah, what can I say, I'm cold.

However, I had a really good time and I'm sure we'll be seeing each other again soon. I can't really get into much about him, since there really isn't that much more to say.

Although, I will say this much: I think my bad Karma is lifting, as I have a date with someone else this weekend.

At this point, I'm not completely sure if it's 'okay' to be dating different people at one time, but I'm going to go with my gut feeling and say it is. I'm not one of those one-date-equals-monogamy kinda people. It's not official until someone declares it should be, and there is a mutual agreement and there may or may not have to be a contract signed (to sign away your independence!). Yeah, this is relationships according to me. Monogamy is sort of like signing up for a closed fixed rate mortgage: You gotta do your research and know what is out there before you sign that approval. In this case, your independence. If it's the best rate for you, go for it. I'd say I'm more like an open variable rate mortgage ('Open' being the operative word).

Do I sound like I'm afraid of Monogamy? To be honest, a little. I kinda do and I kinda don't trust myself to commit to the commitment. I do wonder if I can stay monogamous for even one night even (I've found that I'm really close to double-booking because of my schedule. I tell you, Monogamy is for the weak.).

Let's see how this works.

No comments: