Sunday, October 21, 2007

CiRCA is WhEIRD

Do you know that feeling when you feel exhaustion in your eyes? It's like it hurts to keep your eyes open but it feels oh so good to have them closed. I took a nap this afternoon but I will definitely be turning in early tonight.

I woke up this morning at 9 am from about 5 hours of sleep to meet up with Ishara for breakfast downtown. The things I do to keep up with my social calendar. I don't know how I managed to go shopping with her either (and drop about $100 on shoes...). I came home and collapsed in front of the T.V., the first time in the entire weekend I've had a chance to do that.

On Friday I had the most awful stomachache. I had to forego checking out that new club, CiRCA and Poker. It was that bad. I could barely stand and I was in so much pain all night I could barely sleep. This was all due to not eating that day. You know when you get a stomachache when you don't eat? Eventually your stomach just tries to eat itself. I think someone once told me it's called a gaseous ulcer, or something. Regardless, it hurt like a merciless bitch.

It really sucked that I had to get it on Friday, because it totally wasted my Friday night. Waiting for the next day was painstaking because I was so looking forward to the pain going away. And it did go away, thank goodness.

On Saturday afternoon I went to some art exhibit with my parents. It is out of the ordinary that I would go to an art exhibit, let alone with my parents because we're not that interesting. However, it was surprisingly pretty good. See, my dad's pretty artsy and knows alot of interesting things that I would not expect an Asian parent to know. It's really sad how little I know about Canadian culture and he wasn't even born here. Ha. He was like our art tour guide and knew alot of stuff about the 'Group of Seven' (which oddly enough, is not comprised of seven Canadian artists anymore). The only one I recognized was Emily Carr thanks to those Canadian Heritage commercials (you know you're a Canadian-born child when...).

So my dad kinda introduced me to this incredible artist Robert Bateman. He's a Canadian artist, who now lives in Oakville, and he does these incredible nature paintings. His attention to detail is spectacular and his paintings are awesome. They're so realistic that you would think he had taken a photograph, or painted them at the moment, but apparently alot of his paintings are comprised of his photography and his imagination. This is pretty cool, since his paintings are so life-like. Funny enough, he has once noted that if he had to choose between art and nature, he'd pick art. He was referring to the fact that some of scenes in his paintings, as real as they seem, would not have happened in real life (i.e. how animals are in nature) but they were painted the way they were because it just looked better. Nowadays, his paintings are more political-based, especially regarding the environment. His work is less about the beauty of nature, and more of the ugliness of environmental issues.

On Saturday night, I finally got to check out the new club, CiRCA. I had heard nothing but good things about this place but the one thing that really intrigued me was that of the dozen or so rooms they have, one of them was playing A-pop music. YES! BoA at a club? Nice.

Vicki and I agreed that I would bring my boys and she would bring hers and we met up somewhere between the washroom bar (yes, a bar in the washroom) and the 'A-pop' room. I will try to sum up my 'review' of this new club for those who are thinking of going:

Pro: Many rooms playing different songs made for good variety, especially when traveling with an entourage.

Con: Many All of the rooms were playing trance, or a variance of trance! Even the "hip hop" music was playing trance! 50 Cent + Trance beats = hip hop trance.

Pro: The A-pop Room paid homage to all that cutesy shit of A-pop culture, which was both fun and creepy at the same time.

Con: No A-pop music, and especially no BoA! Looks like all that was reserved for opening night.

Pro: Lots of different rooms with different themes made it so-not-boring. There were a lot of things to look at (i.e. live topless mannequins in the guys bathroom, costumed employees), so even if you are one of those people who just stand around at clubs, you were entertained. This place was like a museum-nightclub.

Con: Too many rooms! This place had 3 floors, and like, 3 different rooms on each floor! You bet your sweet ass with an entourage as large as ours we spent a good chunk of the time there looking for each other.

Pro: The crowd was nice. It was a mature clientele that night, so no weird Ecstasy-crazed youngster with glow sticks. Con: I'm not a girl, not yet a woman. I kinda felt like I was maybe 'too young' because the crowd was stylish and mature. I'm quite sure I saw a couple grandparents standing around swaying to the music. Pro: The door to the club was right next to the parking garage, PLUS they had indoor line-ups (basically having everyone come in through the back and line up in the garage). This also meant no need to coat-check. Con: It's a good thing the club was right next to the parking garage and they had indoor line ups, because I wasn't about to spend money on coat check after spending $15 on the cover! Overall, I'm a bit on the fence about CiRCA. I've been to better night clubs but I've also been to far worse (*ahem Metro*). We left CiRCA a bit earlier than usual (1:30 am) and didn't actually leave the parking garage until 2:30! Why? Oh man, long story. But let's just say I thought I had bad sense of direction until realizing Nick really needs to carry OnStar in his pocket at all times.

No comments: