Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Dr. Lil

Move over Dr. Phil, there's a new unlicensed therapist in town.

It's amazing, really. I'm able to dish out all kinds of advice, yet I cannot even help my own life. Is it because I have a better perspective of someone else's life than my own?

Recently, someone thanked me for some satiable advice I had given them over a year ago. The funny thing is, I barely know this person. I think we met online through a friend or something. We talk once in awhile, but not that often (mostly because I wasn't really that interested). One day, we were just chatting and he was griping about his then-girlfriend. I gave him my point of view and I must've given him something to think about it, because he thanked me for saving him from wasting time in trying to salvage his toxic relationship. He even invited me to his birthday party.

It feels really good to help people, especially strangers who are taking your advice not because they know you, but because they respect your advice for what it is. I guess I am known for giving that hard-to-admit advice that sometimes isn't easy to see, but I love telling it like it is (even with all the trouble it has got me into).

It's simple for me to point out problems and fix other people's [love] lives, but why can't I help my own? I'm just as lost and confused as the people who come to me for advice. Perhaps my problems are more complex than others, but that's my ego talking. My problems are as petty as anyone else's.

I think because they're my problems, to me, they seem so big and unsolveable. But that's how it is with everyone. To each, their own problems seem so important and distracts them from seeing the simpleness of it.

And it's not like other people haven't tried to help me. I have taken some well-heeded advice, but sometimes it's not really enough. No offense to those who have tried to help me, but I need someone to snap me out of my funk, instead of feeling sorry for me or my situation. I need someone who isn't afraid to hurt my feelings (because that ship has sailed) and tell me what to do.

In the meantime, I'm 'self-therapeuting' myself with physical activity. Like I said before, I am looking forward to the warmer weather to be more active. It will help distract me (yeah, that doesn't really solve any problems) and improve my physical outlook because this chick's self-confidence walked out the door a long time ago and in walked self-pity.

I am really looking forward to the Argos Cheerleading tryouts this Saturday. The tryouts begin at 8 am and it is a series of routines they teach you as they eliminate you throughout the day. I really don't think I will make it past these preliminary auditions, but I look forward to the physical exhaustion. At least I will be trying out with some friends, so it won't be a lonely rejection (that's not to say that my friends will be rejected, it's just less embarrassing when I have friends with me as I'm being rejected than going through it alone).

The doctor is out.

Edited to add: Thinspiration

Adrianna Lima on the cover of April's issue of GQ:

I wonder if it's easier to pose nude if you're a 'virgin'...

No comments: