Saturday, May 10, 2008

So Many Words, So Little Time

Alas! Some time to write. I've been super super busy lately. I think I over-anticipated exactly how much free time I would have before I took up the Creative Writing classes at UofT, kickboxing, dance, wall-climbing and the stuff in between that I promise to do and that I need to do.

I guess I am getting what I paid for, literally. I feel awful, too, because I am not putting as much effort as I should be for my Creative Writing classes. I have a manuscript due next weekend and I haven't the faintest idea how to start. I don't even have time to start!! Suggestions are welcome.

The first ingredient to a story is a theme. A theme is like a moral, or something that is learned or realized by the end of the story. Ever since I could remember, that's always been the hardest part for me in writing. Second to writing the conclusion, of course. *sigh.

How cliché of me would it be to take stories out of my own life? I mean, I think it's as interesting as TV, like The Hills, why not a book?

I could be the main character, and use a pseudonym, of course. The setting? Hm, how about a non-descript suburb in Canada, possibly near Toronto?

Now for a theme. Problem is, sad as it sounds, I haven't really learned anything. Really.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here are some lessons (or possible "themes") that I've learned just this year:

-always, always, always tell the truth. Lying is not the easy way out.

-Loose lips sink ships.

-“Sex is full of lies. The body tries to tell the truth. But, it's usually too battered with rules to be heard, and bound with pretenses so it can hardly move. We cripple ourselves with lies.” ~Jim Morrison

-“Liars are the cause of all the sins and crimes in the world.” ~some old Greek guy

-Moving on is simple, it's what you leave behind that makes it so difficult.

-You don't realize how much you care about someone until they don't care about you.

More bitter/angry quotes available at your request.